- Where: 11759 Groat Road, Edmonton, AB
- # of Volunteers Needed: 1
- Start Date: Monday, 04 January 2016
- End Date: Friday, 02 December 2016
- Brief Description: Volunteer Position: Marketing and Communications Want to give a voice to people with intellectual disabilities? Can pull together a flash mob in the time it takes a web page to load?! – then organize a don’t break a sweat outdoing ‘world book of records’? Have energy and enthusiasm that wins awards before lunch? Bring your proven communication skills across a wide range of media and medium to Special Olympics Alberta as a marketing and communications volunteer. Promote Special Olympics Alberta (SOA) and spread the movement across the province with out-of-the-box thinking that keeps the messages fresh, and active, in the publics’ mind. We are about to commence exciting new campaigns with the selection of Team Alberta 2016, the Special Olympics World Games around the corner and rolling out new awareness campaigns to boost local program. Apply by resume with a cover letter clearly showing how your skills fit the job description. Don’t forget to visit our website to learn about us www.specialolympics.ab.ca
- Contact Name: Katherine Dalusong
- Contact Phone: 780-638-4620
The marketing and communication volunteer is responsible for providing support to Special Olympics Alberta’s internal and external communications initiatives to its stakeholders and target audiences.
Receive training and guidance from staff leading to competency in the following functions.
Implicit for all duties below is the understanding that the marketing and communications volunteer will regularly consult with staff for satisfactory completion of the tasks.
• Provide content and photographs to the athlete and volunteer story databank
• Assist in maintaining and archiving of SOA photos and videos
• Graphic Design: create SOA and Team Alberta promotional material
• PR: Assist in creation of fact sheets and backgrounders. Provide support to media events and act as, or work with marketing and communication and designated spokesperson and coordinate interviews for print and radio.
• Social Media: support in planning, promotion and implementation of awareness campaigns; Research and develop content for SOA.
• Provide status updates on social sites and drive traffic to the SOA website
• Blog: Research and develop meaningful content, time permitting, that our audience wants to know and share. Provide content to the blog on a regular basis.
• Share current industry and communication trends.
Skills and Experience Required:
• Currently a post-secondary student with discipline in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations
• Excellent communications skills (verbal and written), especially with people with intellectual disabilities
• Ability to communicate messages in a professional and engaging manner designed to generate support in a target audience
• Exceptional organizational abilities and time management skills; ability to meet deadlines, multitask and prioritize
• Adobe program skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and excellent knowledge of MS Office programs and desktop (preferable)
• Strong social media skills coupled with an understanding of SEO
• A commitment to working cooperatively in a team environment with staff, volunteers and people with intellectual disabilities
• Office setting with some outdoor activities
• Must be available for occasional travel and occasional work outside of regular office hours.
• Opportunity to work from home